Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Melt in Your Mouth Scones!

My friend from college, Kim M., mentioned this delicious recipe on Facebook the other day, so I asked her to share it with me. She did and wow! These are so scrumptious! (that's kind of a fun word, isn't it?) The recipes makes 16 (or 12 large scones, if you make them at 11pm and are hurrying) and I took about half to share with my friend, so it was perfect. However, if I were just making them for my family, I might split the recipe in half. Maybe I'll give you both:

Scones

Ingredients:
4 cups plus one tbsp all purpose flour
2tbsp sugar, plus more for sprinkling
2 tbsp baking powder
2 tsp salt
3/4 pound cold unsalted butter, diced (this is 3 sticks or 1 1/2 cups)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cold heavy cream
3/4 cup small-diced dried strawberries (or other dried fruit...I used cherries)*
1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water or milk, for egg wash

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400.
2. In a LARGE bowl, combine 4 cups of flour, 2 tbsp sugar, baking powder, and salt.
3. Blend in the cold butter using a pastry blender until butter is in pea-sized pieces (do not overblend butter!).
4. Combine eggs and cream and quickly add them to the flour/butter mixture. Combine until just blended.
5. Toss fruit with 1 tbsp flour, add to the dough, and mix quickly.
6. The dough may be a bit sticky.Dump dough out onto well-floured surface and be sure it is well combined. Flour your hands and a rolling pin and roll the dough 3/4 inches thick.
7. Cut into squares with a 4-inch plain or fluted cutter, and then cut them in half diagonally to make triangles. (I rolled the dough into a circle and cut it like a pizza to make the triangle-ish shapes).
8. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops with egg wash. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 20-25 minutes, until outsides are golden brown.

Makes 16 scones

My friend, Tina, is going to try chocolate chips instead of fruit--I think they'll be just as delicous. Seriously, you need to try these--YUMMMMMM!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recipe halved:
2 cups plus one tbsp all purpose flour
1tbsp sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/8 pound cold unsalted butter, diced (3/4 cup, or 1 1/2 sticks)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup cold heavy cream
3/8 cup small-diced dried strawberries (or other dried fruit...I used cherries)
1 egg beaten with 2 tbsp water or milk, for egg wash

follow same directions above

No comments: