Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Ellen's Chicken and Rice Bake

My friend, Ellen, passed this recipe along to me months ago and I keep forgetting to post it! It is really quite tasty and easy--and you know that makes it a keeper! :)
Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 can (10 ¾ ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 ¾ C water
1 ½ C sliced mushrooms
¾ C uncooked long-grain rice
1 1/3 C French’s French Fried onions, divided
4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, divided
4 chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds)
½ teaspoon each paprika and dried thyme leaves

1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. Combine soup, water, mushrooms, rice, 2/3 C French Fried onions and 2 teaspoons Worcestershire in 3-quart oblong baking dish.
3. Arrange chicken over rice mixture. Brush chicken with remaining Worcestershire and sprinkle with paprika and thyme.
4. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
5. Top with remaining 2/3 C onions. Bake 3 minutes or until onions are golden.

(Ellen’s version! I don’t like mushrooms so I use cream of chicken soup and eliminate the mushrooms. I cut the chicken breast into smaller pieces so they cook a little faster (and I know they’re cooked all the way through). I don’t usually measure the Worcestershire sauce – I just splash a little on each piece of chicken. Oh yea, and I usually use more onions because they’re just that good!!)

No comments: