Pages

Friday, May 1, 2009

Salsa Chicken



At long last, I bring you....drumroll please...Salsa Chicken. Not to be confused with it's cousins Cha-Cha Chicken and Mambo Chicken. I know, my humor, it's way corny. I was told once that it is what made me a good elementary teacher. Anyway, I digress. Salsa chicken...my friend, Kim, recommended this recipe that she found online at Christy's Kitchen Creations quite some time ago. It's been on the list but kept getting moved to the backburner...wow, and the puns just keep on coming. Today was the day, I finally tried it and I'm so glad. It meets all my criteria for becoming a regular around here:
1. easy
2. yummy
3. everyone in my family ate it!
4. pretty inexpensive/low key ingredients
It's a crockpot meal, which is always nice. Since this was my first time making it, I stuck to the directions and served it with rice, as Christy has in her picture that I'm borrowing below. (I've misplaced my camera and even with the help of my superhero sons we can't seem to find it!) The only change I made was that I cut up the chicken into chunks before cooking it. Also, as I was putting away the leftovers tonight, I had a good idea for variation. I would love to pour this stuff over tortilla chips...similar to a chili, chips and cheese but with chicken chunks. Yum! So...here it is folks, enjoy! :)

Salsa Chicken

Ingredients:
3 to 4 skinless-boneless chicken breasts
taco seasoning (as much or little as you want)
1 (16 oz.) jar salsa (mild, medium or hot...please your own tastebuds)
1 can fat free cream of mushroom soup
1 cup fat free sour cream

1. Layer first four ingredients in crock-pot in order listed.
2. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
3. During last 15 minutes of cooking time, stir in sour cream.
4. Serve over rice.

Source: Christy’s Kitchen Creations

No comments: