Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

Sweet and Tangy Meatloaf

This recipe is probably the only one I've ever made up completely on my own. My mom and I had a deal in middle school that if I made dinner, she'd do the dishes. I hated to wash the dishes and loved to cook, so she'd leave me recipes. She was working at the time, so it was a win-win situation. Her recipe called for onions and ketchup...we were low on ketchup and I'm not a huge onion fan (I've grown to appreciate them more, but I used to despise them!), so I started playing and here is the end result. It tastes similar to a barbeque meatball appetizer...also, I definitely don't measure when I make this, so the measurements aren't exact. Sorry!!

One last thing, I almost always serve this with baked potatoes b/c you can stick them in the oven before you make the meatloaf and it all ends up done around the same time.

Sweet and Tangy Meatloaf

Ingredients:
1 ½-2 pounds of hamburger
½ cup of ketchup
½ cup of barbeque sauce
1/3 cup of brown sugar
5-6 crumbled saltine crackers
2 eggs

Sauce topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
¼ cup barbeque sauce
3 Tbs. of brown sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375° F

2. Mix all of the above ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. (I use my hands, but you could probably do it with a spoon or fork.)

3. Dump #2 into a 9 x 13 baking dish and shape into a loaf

4. Mix the sauce in a sauce pan until the sugar is dissolved. Pour on top of the loaf.

4. Bake for approx. 45 minutes (check to be sure the meat is brown all the way through before eating)

Serves 4-6

A Heather Gross original—Pete doesn’t like me to make it for company b/c he wants to have more leftovers!! :)

No comments: