Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Freezer Meal Swap

Last week, a few friends and I swapped meals for the third time. If you haven't heard of a freezer meal swap or have heard but are skeptical, I say keep reading. Whoever thought of this idea is brilliant and I want to hug them. :) I spend one day cooking for several hours and come away with 6 meals that I've prepared. I freeze one for myself and take the other five to our swap. I come home with five different frozen meals. My family has tried recipes that I probably wouldn't have thought of or tried. And on those days when I know I'm going to be running here and there, I can relax and know we'll still be eating a home-cooked quality meal with next to no effort of my part. It's wonderful. We're currently trying to add two more people to our swap so that we can have 8 meals frozen. By the way, I don't have an extra freezer or even a large freezer. We have a side-by-side fridge/freezer and it still works. :)
Also, we communicate back and forth via facebook email about what we're going to make and the recipes and instructions for reheating.
I'll list the names of a few that we've tried that have frozen well and if you're interested, I'll try to post the recipes soon--just comment and ask for them and I'll gladly do that! :)

Freezer Meal Swap Recipes:
Beef and Bean Burritos
Honey Glazed Pork Chops
Spaghetti Pie
White Chicken Chili
Taco Soup
Vegetable Beef Soup
Manicotti
Turkey/Chicken Pot Pie
Cheesey Chicken Strips
Chicken Quiche
Sloppy Joes
Baked Ziti
Spanish Rice Bake
Meatballs

I think there's more, but that's a start! Also, Terra has some great freezer meal recipes on her site. Check it out! :)

4 comments:

Tia said...

That is such a COOL idea! I love it!I may have to steal this idea and share it with some church friends! What a great way to make the freezer meals so much easier!!!!

Unknown said...

Glad to hear it's going well & you're enjoying it!! (thanks for the link too!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

This is very cool! I have been really into freezing meals lately (busy spring schedule and baby coming). I would love to have the recipe for the White Chicken Chili and the Honey Glazed pork chops (when you have the time). Thanks so much, Heather! -Ellen Vogt

Tracy said...

I love this idea - I have been trying to get one started but have not found anyone else that wanted to do it!